Scenic City Paint Out
Winners from the 1st Annual Scenic City Paint Out holding their winning paintings! This year has been such a good time, and we are so looking forward to a bigger paint out in April 2014! Please check our website at http://shuptrines.com/scenic-city-paint-out for updates on how to participate next year!
Winners in order from left to right:
Rena Malone – Best in Show; June Teuscher – 3rd Place; Janet Felts – Honorable Mention; Sandra Babb – Honorable Mention. Marie Miller – Not Pictured – 2nd Place.
Shuptrine’s is hosting the 1st Annual Scenic City Paint Out. Part of the city-wide SPARK Festival (www.sparkartschattanooga.com) that kicks off with Four Bridges Festival, all artists and mediums are welcome to participate. Join us for just a day or for the entire week anytime during of April 12 – 18th, 2013 to take workshops in oils, watercolors, and pastels, and to plein air paint various gorgeous views in Chattanooga, win prizes, and showcase your work! Joining the PAINT OUT will give you unlimited access to the Reflection Riding Nature Center, a day at Rock City, and a day at the Hunter Museum of American Art where the artists will have a talk and tour of historic Plein Air paintings by a Hunter curator, ending with a wonderful exhibition evening of Plein Air paintings by award winning artists at SHUPTRINE’S GALLERY. The “wet” paintings from the artists that join in will be on table viewing at the gallery for a juried competition. A portion of the proceeds from the Paint Out will support both Reflection Riding and The Hunter Museum of American Art.
Dates: Friday, April 12th – Friday, April 19th – 9:00-6:00pm each day (Participate in ONE or ALL days)
Cost: $55 – which includes all events planned for the week except for workshops from nationally awarded artists (info below)
- Brett Weaver – Saturday April 13, 2013 – (9-3pm) – $150 – Oil Plein Air Workshop
- Alan Shuptrine – Monday, April 15, 2013 – (9-3pm) – $150 – Watercolor Plein Air Workshop
- Stephanie Valencia – Thursday, April 18, 2013 – (10-2pm) – $100 – Digital Organization and Presentation photography Session.
Partners: Reflection Riding Nature Center, The Hunter Museum, Rock City, Carter Distributing, Hair of the Dog Pub, and Chattanooga Whiskey.
Deadline: March 30th
Schedule for the Week of April 12-18th:
Friday, April 12th, 2013
- KICK OFF – 2pm-3pm: Meet & Greet at the gallery. Artists pick up packet for the week which will include official rules, schedules, verification of canvases, and passes for entry to each painting location. A FREE PAINT OUT certificate to enter Reflection Riding Nature Center is available.
Saturday, April 13th, 2013:
- PAINT OUT AT REFLECTION RIDING: Anytime, anywhere! Have fun!
- WORKSHOP AVAILABLE – 9-3pm: Plein Air Oil Workshop with artist Brett Weaver at the Reflection Riding Nature Center – $150 per person.
- OPEN HOUSE – 11-4pm: Stop by the gallery for a talk, tour, and refreshments with manager, Stephanie Valencia and enjoy a sneak peek of award-winning Plein Air paintings.
Sunday, April 14th, 2013:
- PAINT OUT AT REFLECTION RIDING: Meet and greet artists in many locations, enjoy your day!
Monday, April 15th, 2013:
- PAINT OUT AT ROCK CITY: A gorgeous view of our city from historical Lookout Mountain. For those who want to meet, feel free to meet at Starbucks Coffee at 9am.
- WORKSHOP AVAILABLE – 9-3pm: Plein Air WATERCOLOR Workshop with Alan Shuptrine – $150 per person – scenic park
Tuesday, April 16th, 2013:
- PAINT OUT AT HUNTER MUSEUM OF ART
- 9am: Set up all stations to paint our TENNESSEE RIVER from the balcony of the Hunter Art Museum . All artists participating in the Scenic City Paint Out will enjoy a full day at The Hunter Museum of American Art.
- 10am: Join our Hunter Museum curator for a walking tour of our American fine art museum on Plein Air historical paintings.
Wednesday, April 17th, 2013:
- ENJOY YOUR DAY! PAINT OUT at the Reflection Riding Nature Center, downtown, or another view of artists choice.
Thursday, April 18th, 2013:
- LAST DAY OF PAINTING – ALL ARTWORK MUST BE FRAMED AND DUE AT SHUPTRINE’S GALLERIES FOR JUDGING by 5:00pm – Juried evaluation of artwork and award ceremony at 7:30pm – Best in Show, 2nd and 3rd place winners – all artists and friends welcome to attend.
- PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP – 10-2pm: Workshop with Stephanie Valencia on how to professionally photograph your artwork for digital presentation and marketing. 10:00 – 2:00pm: $100 per person which includes all instruction, and a disk with all professionally photographed artwork.
- EXHIBIT AT SHUPTRINES GALLERY – PLEIN AIR – The Art of Outdoor Paintings – 5-8pm: Exhibiting award-winning nationally recognized Plein Air artists -Brett Weaver, Alan Shuptrine, Lori Putnam, Roger Dale Brown, and Beverly Ford Evans and others. Opening Reception is on Thursday, April 18th from 5:00-8:00pm. Wine and hors dourves will be served.